Tuesday, September 24, 2013

What came first the chicken or the tofu?

Like a fussy toddler I go through stages with food in my life. There are times when I want nothing but protein. For a while eggs and avocado were a breakfast I craved like a mad woman. And surprisingly good for me. After a few days of not having it I lept from my bed to the kitchen to prep that breakfast. So excited..my mouth was watering. The eggs were perfectly fried with dried onion and the avocado slightly too ripe but still a lovely green. Then it happened. I split my egg open and I nearly vomited. WTF!


I go through stages where I just don't like eggs. I don't like meat...or I don't like pasta....who the fuck am I kidding? I've never gone through that stage lol. I've even dabbled in vegetarianism. I think the longest I went without meat was only 3 or 4 months until I gave in to the sultry ways of Red Robins clucks n fries. Each time I gave up meat it was not for weight loss purposes but were more PETA(fuck you) driven. I don't agree that everyone should be vegan. To each their own. But I also don't support the factory farms and the unnecessary violence inflicted on farmed livestock. That is never how evolution intended for us to eat meat. I fully believe humans are omnivores (eating meat did help us evolve and become bipedal.) but we certainly do not need to be eating chicken nuggets and burgers every day  fat inner child screams:

When I was a vegetarian I didn't feel completely healthy. Why? Probably because instead of meat I was eating too much starch and more dairy. Two things I am most allergic to.

Avoiding being politically correct I have the body type of a savage. Broad shoulders, longish limbs, short torso and boy hips. From all the things I have read on this body type and on general human diet I should be subsiding on a diet of lean meats and vegetables with the occasional fruit...in other words....paleo.

However a paleo diet so high in meat is 1. very expensive up keep as it all has to be organic and local and 2. gross. I like steak and eggs but not for breakfast, lunch and dinner. And no matter how many people tell me its not low carb ITS LOW CARB!

So what is a gal to do? Destined to eat just lean meats and veggies if she wants to lose weight and eventually date a guy like this...
 
But also doesn't want to eat nothing but animal flesh and would like to eat within her budget so she can afford to eventually do this...




 My mother found this book for me just yesterday. My sister and I had been talking about it for a while in regards to cleanses and how eating meat sometimes repulses us. My best friend Kat and I also had a similar conversation. where we just go through stages of not liking foods we once enjoyed. My mother finding this book in her hoarders collections of knick knacks and spiritual aromatherapy books was a sign from a high power (flying spaghetti monster?)


 The first two weeks are: must drink two large glasses of water followed by a raw veggie drink ( totally don't have a juicer so I am just doing green smoothies.)

Free range chicken is allowed. 30-40% of the diet is raw veggies and fruit. Olive oil and balsamic oil is fine but avoid all high fat oils. The diet does also encourage whole wheat products which I won't argue are good for some but for me probably not. As the author also states that if you think you may be allergic to a food then you should avoid it during the 8 week period. So replace whole wheat with either a really good gluten free bread, avoid bread or just stick with brown rice and quinoa in its place.

The next 4 weeks are harder for most people: You eat an almost vegan diet except you are allowed egg whites and fish. . One source I read said you can have dairy on this diet but it doesn't say that in the book?

the last two weeks are the same as the first week.

You would think going into this diet around the holidays is insane. I would agree with you if
  1. 1.) I was not so fat.
  2. 2.) My 29th birthday was not looming around the corner.
  3. 3.) It was tamale season at my house (Christmas and my birthday.)
My sister informed me last night that when she did the liver cleanse she still enjoyed Thanksgiving day and Thanksgiving leftovers. She just added two more days to her 8 week plan. And she lost 40 pounds! If I could lose 40 pounds that would be fantastic but I won't push it also I think I'd be scared to lose that much in 2 months. Doable if you are making a transition from unhealthy lifestyle to healthy but not expected. I did read on average people lost about 25-35. If I hit THAT number I would do cartwheels all the way to Africa.

Its also nice to hear as I will be going to seaside Oregon in late October. My favorite places pig n pancake and ice cream shops will be hard to pass up. I will probably allow myself oatmeal and fruit at pancake and will have to pass on the ice cream. Pray for me that they have a nice sorbet I can enjoy or I'll hit up the expensive grocery store for coconut milk ice cream.

There are deeper reasons why I want to do this. I am not as strong as most people. I do want and desire human connection. Not necessarily sex but I feel stag net in that process of moving on. I simply don't feel comfortable. I didn't feel comfortable in the last stages of my last relationship. That is blame I fully put on myself.

My mother tried to put me on this diet years ago. I told her no way. I'll never give up dairy and meat and basically starve. After reading through this book I realize paleo is actually more restrictive than this. But luckily for me around the time she suggested this book I did lose weight. God bless exercise, limiting junk food and a 19 year old metabolism.

If I meet my first weight loss goal of 20 lbs  before thanksgiving I will re-join match. If I get any dates whoever I date go out with will have to eat somewhere vegan and or pricy with good fish.

I'll be starting this on October 1st. Most of my grain replacement recipes will be coming from the Wheat Belly diet, Paleo Slow Cooker and Primal Cravings.

Stay tuned for more recipes and updates on the cleanse.

Also....I may have some fat on me but I commend myself for a festive fall outfit.
And I am still cute...I will be even cuter minus 20-35 pounds!







No comments:

Post a Comment