Friday, September 6, 2013

Make it yourself gluten free bread isn't splendid

Looks like bread right? Smelled like bread? Yes. Tasted like bread? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This was what I feared it would be as I have feared has been the same result with all paleo gluten free breads. Imagine baking an egg, that is still slightly runny. Now imagine taking the stalest bread crumbs and sprinkling it on top of that egg. And now imagine adding a light dusting of crumbled almond powder on top. Take a bite. Delicious? No. Recipe was from The Wheat Belly cookbook. Sorry dude, the pizza crust was alright as were the chocolate chip cookies but this was nicht gut!

Paleo people need to recognize that eggs are not a substitute for flavor or texture. Adding 7 eggs to your own cup of flour recipes is not going to make a lovely comforting loaf of bread. You can't eat bread and you hate your life, but hey you don't have a muffin top so there is the trade off.

I would however like fitness in my life but don't want to sacrifice taste. I either spend 6 plus dollars on a loaf of organic gluten free bread from the store or I just learn to bake gluten free bread.

I recently purchased this book.
Not only does it not include recipes that don't require almond flour. (Almond flour is an expensive alternative to other flours. Bob Mills one pound bag could be from 10 to 12 dollars or you can purchase from a company called Honeyville for 34 dollars for a five pound back. If you are poor like me but desire for a gluten free lifestyle this can add up to a lot of money spent over time) Also please spare me the whole, "But you won't get cancer" argument.

The recipes include gluten free alternative flours such as potato flour, coconut flour, chickpea and tapioca. These average about 5 to 6 dollars per bag.

I also did cartwheels when their bread recipe unlike so many other paleo/primal/ gluten free recipes only called for 1 EGG instead of 6 eggs. AHHHH!!!! That just might be edible. The book also leaves Dairy as an option as some paleo/primal people refuse to eat dairy do to allergies. I do have a slight intolerance to milk and excess dairy but I keep cheese and Greek yogurt in my diet. I'll continue to keep these in my diet for now as both are low in carbs and carbs are what is causing the most damage. When my weight becomes more stabilized I will be breaking from dairy for a while.

I haven't made anything from it yet but plan to very soon. I need to make a much needed trip to Marlenes to stock up on potato flour, potato starch and coconut sugar (another reasonable alternative to sugar).

I was going to wait until my payday but I think I just need to get these items this week. The transition back to gluten free lower carb is a hard one. Once you give into that sweet seductress of bread its hard to break back out of it. BUT I just gotta keep reminding myself i'm switching things in my life that are good for something better. Good = a comforting bowl of pasta, sweet treats and pug cuddles. Better = food that doesn't make me feel icky but tastes good, sweet gluten free homemade treats and cuddles from pugs and a hot boyfriend, oh and smaller clothes!!!!!


A yogurt I have fallen in love with. Most soy, not legit yogurt is really disgusting. And I grew to loathe fake yogurt but this is sooo good. You can find Almond Dream at any health retailer or local grocery store. Check the allergy geek (aka health section of your local grocer.)

I'll be posting some recipes through out the week from Primal Cravings.




No comments:

Post a Comment