Saturday, July 13, 2013

Mashed Cauliflower----NOT YO POTATO!!!!

Cauliflower I am convinced is on the menu in hell. It is a bland and awkward food. It also makes me think of a horrible story a college roommate told me once about going to a picnic and having her aunt open one up and earwigs popping out of them. OMG!!!!
 
In my quest for the perfect starch substitutes rice cauliflower fails miserably. Zucchini for pasta is not awful but it is only good if the sauce is divine and there is cheese involved. Don't get my started on spaghetti squash. No matter how I cook it...its like tasting crunchy pumpkin innards.
 
I was ready to throw in the towel on cauliflower. When I passed by its disgusting rough terrain body in the produce aisle my eyes shut before their hideous form. I've even started to explore gluten free options. This isn't going to solve my weight problem though but it is a start. I technically shouldn't have any starch on account of my insulin resistant genetics (thanks mom and dad!) but I am working on eliminating wheat to start and then lessoning everything else gradually. As recommended in the glycemic load book Dr. Thompson does not suggest going cold turkey.

But in desperation and from my deep love of potatoes I found a semi successful recipe. Closet Cooking blog has some amazing dishes. Some healthy, some deliciously bad for you. Kevin- the blogger really knows how to get those taste buds drooling. I have made this twice and find that it is probably the only way I will eat cauliflower. Sadly it is not dairy free. I am sure with some patience it can be made dairy free (sub greek yogurt for vegan sour cream and the milk for unsweetened rice or soy). I do have a dairy allergy BUT currently I am aware that my high starch intake in the past is what is causing my weight loss failures. Till I get that more under control dairy will have to stay in my diet. But only minimally, in low fat cheeses and greek yogurt which I don't go past two servings a day. Here is the recipe.

 

Garlic Mashed Cauliflower


Servings: makes 4-6 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Ingredients
  • 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream or Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon white miso (optional)
  • milk to taste
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Place the cauliflower and garlic in a steamer over boiling water and steam until fork tender, about 10-15 minutes.
  2. Mash the cauliflower and garlic with a masher or puree them in a food processor.
  3. Mix in the butter, sour cream, miso and enough milk to bring the mashed cauliflower to the desired consistency and season with salt and pepper to taste.
I added chopped chives from our garden. Its not potatoes but it is tolerable and tastes just fine. I give it a three and a half star rating. If you are totes sick of steamed veggies and side salads give this a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment