Monday, November 16, 2015

Sweet and Spicy Tofu


Let me start this post by saying I hate tofu. Truly do not like it. I've tried cooking it countless ways and paired with many of my favorite dishes. I consider myself a better baker than I do a cook. So perhaps that has something to do with it. 

I will say I have had it prepared by someone else and I enjoyed it. Therefore I am willing to say that my skill level is not on par with being a tofu expert. With that being said I would like to learn.

Tofu is cheap. Dirt cheap. Even the organic bulk at Marlene's. I know my native body would prefer wild caught salmon, scallops or perhaps a roasted chicken shot in the early morning on a farm near Enumclaw. But alas I can not afford any of those options. Because this girl thought she was going to not only be employed but employed with a legit job that allowed me to afford the kind of lifestyle I need to avoid early onset diabetes. But alas life has a different plan for me and for that I must learn how to endure tofu and chickpeas.

Sweet and Spicy Tofu was good. It was pretty damn good. It is a simple enough recipe though the clean up is a bit messy. The sauce is very thick and if you don't wash the pan after cooking it tends to harden. I would suggest adding a vegetable to the mix. Its more filling and who doesn't love veggies soaked in bad for you sauce. You know I do. ;)

 From the website: http://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/

SWEET & SPICY SRIRACHA TOFU
Author: 
Prep time:  
Cook time:  
Total time:  
Serves: 4
 
INGREDIENTS
For the Tofu:
  • 1 Block Extra Firm Tofu
  • ⅓ Cup Cornstarch
  • 2 Tablespoons Oil for Frying (more if needed)
  • Cooked rice for serving.
For the Sriracha Sauce:
  • 1 Cup Water
  • ¼ Cup Soy Sauce
  • ¼ Cup White Sugar
  • 1 - 3 Tablespoons Sriracha (depending on your spice preference)
  • 3 Cloves Finely Minced Garlic
  • 2 Tablespoons Agave (or to taste)
  • 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch + 2 Tablespoons Water
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Drain, rinse, and press the block of tofu for 15 minutes.
  2. Slice the tofu into 1 inch cubes.
  3. Put the cornstarch in a bowl and toss the tofu with the cornstarch in batches making sure each side is coated. Shake off excess and set aside.
  4. Heat oil in a pan and fry the tofu cubes until all sides are browned. About 4 minutes each side.
  5. Drain tofu on paper towel to get rid of excess oil.
  6. In the meantime, mince the garlic, then add it to a sauce pan along with the water, soy sauce, sugar, Sriracha, and agave. Bring to a boil.
  7. In a small bowl or glass, mix the cornstarch and water together. Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the sauce and stir until thickened.
  8. Toss the sauce with the tofu and serve over a bed of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment